I think something like this should work:
  rrdtool tune my_metrics.rrd --data-source-type name_of_DS:COUNTER

That's 100% untested, and you should make backups of your files, of
course.  You'll need to figure out the names of the DS entries, which
you can get from 'rrdtool info my_metrics.rrd'

--
Jesse Becker