On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 10:01 -0400, Daniel Weinreb wrote:
> Nubis, James,
>
> James Fleming wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >

> > > can anyone recommend me the 'simplest' (as in,
> > > will-later-find-myself-doing-ad-hoc-stuff-but-it-was-easy-to-grasp-at-first)
> > >  web framework for common lisp?
> > >

> > I can recommend Hunchentoot. I used to use Araneida, but it seems to
> > have fallen to the competition.
> >
> Hunchntoot is the best HTTP server in Common Lisp.  By Edi Weitz,
> probably
> the best writer of free CL libraries.  We use it at work.  This
> decision is a
> no-brainer.
> >
> > Hunchentoot, then, with CL-WHO to produce the actual HTML. There's also
> > a gotcha with CL-WHO, incidentally, regarding when you should use
> > (format t ...) and when to use (format nil ...), but if the output isn't
> > appearing when you expect, that's the first thing to check.
> >
> I think the big question is what Nubis means by a "web framework" and
> what
> he expects such a thing to do.

First of all, thanks all of you for your replies (to the scheme and
CLisp thread also)

What I want is something that nicely integrates an ORM, an abstraction
to make requests be 'functions' that access a 'request' object and
return a response object containing headers + [generated html | JSON], I
don't need it to have a built in web server, as I rather deploy with
apache+mod_lisp, fastcgi or lighty.

having urls be matched to a given function in a separate
configuration-like file would be a plus.
If someone knows the django web framework, all of this may sound
familiar.

But most of all, I need nice documentation with working examples on how
to use each feature, apart from good documentation, see , in the long
run I want lisp to be my company's main language (I own a small web dev
company, I have 2 employees), and I don't want to force the guys away
from python+django with they feeling at loss.

UCW and http://labs.core.gen.tr/ seem like good candidates ( I feel
comfortable with most 'advanced' programming topics like
continuations).
hunchentoot also seems to have some of the features I look for, thanks
for helping me reduce the choices to those three. Still, Hunchentoot
doesn't seem to come with an ORM, but I guess the community has one or
two favorites, can you recommend any? ( you guys may think I'm some kind
of newbie flame war starter by now :). I think I can pull this off
smoothly if I find the right analogous technologies from what I'm using
(python+django(which has templates and an orm).

Marek, you look like you've already been through this :) what toolchain
do you think would be the most django-esque, technical and
documentation-wise?

again, thank you all :)

--
----nubis :)