Robert Dewar wrote:

>> I'm disappointed that a license "improvement" (changing GPL to GFDL on
>> manuals) has made it impossible to do something that we, as developers,
>> used to be able to do (when documentation was under the GPL we could
>> move things back and forth between code and documentation at will), and
>> which benefited users (by making it easier for us to generate better
>> documentation).
>
> I agree that it is essential to be able to do this kind of movement
> backwards and forwards.

Would you like to contact RMS about this?  He doesn't seem to think that
it's important, let alone essential.

His suggestion is that we do this in the FSF repository (where we can
explicitly make such license changes), but of course that denies that
same freedom to third parties.  RMS has proposed a script that
regenerates GFDL'd documentation from GPL'd code.  But, that is not
sufficient because I can regenerate the GFDL'd manual after I change
GPL'd code (my changes can be licensed as I see fit), but I cannot
regenerate the GFDL'd manual after *you* change GPL'd code if you have
not regenerated the GFDL'd manual.

I believe that the right fix (short of simply abandoning the GFDL, which
would be fine with me, but is presumably not going to pass muster with
RMS) is a revision to the GPL that explicitly permits relicensing GPL'd
content under the GFDL, by anyone.  Movement in that direction should
not be of concern to the FSF; the point of the GFDL was to prevent
people removing the FSF's philosophical statements in its manuals, not
to prevent GPL'd content from being used in manuals.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery