Hi,

Hermann Rodrigues wrote:

> I dare to say that, if we are following this path, maybe GDAL should start
> marketing itself as a set of command line tools and not as a
> library, given that breaking compatibility just because we can is not
> something a library developer should do, IMHO.

Hyperbola is a fine rhetoric device but IMHO gdal-dev mailing list is not a
good forum to practice with it. You know how it goes: someone says something
that is aimed to irritate, opposing party gets irritated and gives back
something that is as much of no use, like "fork or write your own libraries
then". I do not want to play that game. Of course it is possible that you meant
what you wrote and in that case I apologize.

If our main aim was to break compatibility we probably would not write the
Request For Comment documents https://gdal.org/development/rfc/ and announce
them on the mailing lists. However, we are going to use the RFC mechanism also
in the future.

Regards,

-Jukka Rahkonen-