Hermann,

Speaking to GDAL being one (not very small) piece of an ecosystem of
libraries and tools:

This is exactly what unit tests are for.  A well done tool or library
should have the tests that cover their critical uses of libraries they
depend on.  It's often referred to as the "Beyonce rule": "If you liked it,
you should have put a test on it." (c.f. here
<https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/software-engineering-at/9781492082781/ch01.html>
)

Now is a great time to make sure that your workflow has a check for proper
handling of 8-bit rasters.

-kurt