Title: Re: [gecko]Walk about farms gecko dust
Hi Sue,

I find this interesting, I would have thought that a rocket-powered Phelsuma would have a high metabolic rate. Also, some species can have reproductive rates as high as leopards. The eggs are smaller,
but require a lot of calcium being hard-shelled. It may be that extra calcium/D3 are more important
for these species.

I would love to see a comparison of different metabolic rates. I notice a fair bit of difference in the
amount of food consumed by the various Rhacodactylus species. I also find it surprising
how much slow-moving Uroplatus eat.

Best wishes,
Neil

My thinking behind this suggestion is that given the natural history of Phelsuma compared to, say, leopard geckos, one might predict that the Phelsuma have lower metabolic rates, hence lower calorie needs (but this is a guess, no controlled data). We try to balance our dusts on a calorie basis (ie xx mg nutrient per calorie of metabolizable energy). The nutrient density per calorie is higher in Perf Plus than in the other dusts I mentioned.

We haven't yet done the necessary feeding trials to test Perf Plus longterm in Phelsuma.  So proceed with caution and I can make up something lower powered to blend with the Perf Plus as needed.

Thanks listers for all the good info on this list.  It's a pleasure to lurk when AOL manages to actually send me list messages (I seem to miss one out of three, thus go to the archives when I have time).

best regards,
Sue
Susan Donoghue, VMD, DACVN
Owner, Nutrition Support Services, Inc.