> I'm so confused. Don't spider geckos LIVE on sand?

No, they don`t. They live on rocks. ("According to I.S.Darevsky's observations in
Iran, the persian Agamura inhabits rocky semi-desert, covered with black rock waste,
on the border of sand semi-desert, and on the slopes of hills. N.A.Zarudny caught
these lizards among large rock fragments "at the foot of a slide" and on solid
elevated steppe with abundant rock waste and thin, undersized sagebrush. S.Minton
encountered them on rocky terraces..... " Quoted from Szczerbak & Golubev: Gecko Fauna
of the USSR and contiguous regions. SSAR-editon)

Greetings from Hamburg

Sven Vogler