> From: "maleldil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 18:04:19 -0500
>
> Just a question. Is there a "safe" sand-like bedding available for small
> geckos that they can still bury eggs in? I have heard of wheat germ but I
> don't know how well it would do (and I also don't know where to get it).

I was really sorry to hear about your gecko.

Wheat germ is very nutritious stuff.  I feed it to feeder insects.
I can't imagine using it as bedding, since it gets moldy with the
least bit of moisture and the oil in it goes rancid if it's exposed
to air and warmth very long.  You can get it in supermarkets and
bulk or health food stores.

When I had Coleonyx variegatus (banded geckos) I put silver sand in the
laying box, and the male used to eat it producing feces that were
almost 100% sand.  I never figured out why he did that since they had
plenty to eat, a water dish and a dish of mineral supplement.  Silver
sand is a very fine quartz sand that you can sometimes buy in aquarium
shops.  It's also sometimes used to cover fine seeds after sowing, and
I think the same stuff was used in those stands you used to see
everywhere for smokers to put out their cigarettes in.

I'm not recommending silver sand for your geckos!  Please take the advice
of the more knowledgable instead!

Btw, I use coir (coconut fibre) in the humidity boxes for my leos and I
see some in their feces.  Again, I don't know why they eat it - they have
water, they get their bugs in a dish, they have mineral supplement
available at all time.  The only thing I can figure is that when they
shed inside the boxes, it sticks to the shed skin and they ingest it when
they eat the skin.  Of course, an adult leo is a big gecko, the pieces of
coir are small relative to e.g. cricket residue  and it's soft when wet,
so impaction is not likely to be a problem.

Does anyone have insight into why geckos eat substrate, sometimes enough
to get into trouble like maleldil's A.persica?