Indeed disabling two-pass rendering does suppress the flash of the
color-unmanaged intermediate image, great! I knew of that option, but
thought it only applied to resizing, but now I see that the label also
mentions color correction, so its all good.

By the way, I'm using geeqie-1.3 and aside from the monitor profile
using the wrong rendering intent, which I reported separately, color
management does seem to work correctly. Maybe the OP's problems will go
away if they disable two-pass rendering and use 1.3, otherwise provide
some sample images so that we can try to reproduce.