For anyone who's curious to play around with it, this is now working.
It has all of the features described, although the interface ended up
going in a different direction than I had originally planned.

https://github.com/xsdg/geeqie/tree/kw-multifilter

It'll be a little bit before this gets merged into master, due to some
unrelated issues with a parent commit that I had written.

Anyway, give it a shot.  Let me know how it could improve.  I know that
I need to add documentation somewhere (where?), but I'm curious to know
whether the UI is intuitive at all.

--xsdg