Jean,

core community base relatively well as a small persistence package -- this
is the primary reason why there is not a lot of developer activity at this
time.  There is a broad, if mostly silent, user base out there and questions
posted to the various lists get answered relatively quickly.  You do not
always have to grow to succeed.

That said, if the reason for sponsorship by Apache DB is to develop new
features in support of Apache DB, then perhaps it makes sense to discuss
exactly what features are desired and see who wants to step up for that
goal.

About myself, I worked extensively with jdbm about one year ago fixing
several issues relating to the weak reference cache, optimizing the object
cache model, and in general tuning performance.  I also did an integration
for compact, extensible, and transparently serialized object graphs for jdbm
records.  While I am no longer actively working on the project, I still
monitor the lists and would continue to provide support and might contribute
again if the project goals changed.

My open source activities go back into the late 80's with work on induction
systems, generic algorithms and neural networks.  Most recently, I started
http://www.bigdata.com.  This project is a scale-out database architecture
ala bigtable or HBase, but more general in its handling of key-range
partitioned B+Trees and supports a high performance RDFS+ database in
addition to a bigtable/hbase style store, a distributed file system, and an
object database data model.  It is currently in pre-release while we work
through some issues with load balancing across a cluster.

-bryan