:Hi Jean,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I'll put the proposal on the
wiki as soon as I have some time - I'm off to The Server Side in
Prague tomorrow, so whether it will be this week I don't know :)

Regards,

Cees

On 6/14/08, Jean T. Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, Cees,
>
> JDBM certainly looks interesting!
>
> One clarification about process is the project would still enter
> incubation, but sponsored by Apache DB.  On graduation, it would then
> join Apache DB as a subproject -- or possibly even as its own top level
> project. (For example, Apache Derby and JDO were sponsored by Apache DB,
> and graduated as DB subprojects. Apache Cayenne was sponsored by Apache
> DB, but graduated as a TLP. ) Exact destination gets determined at
> graduation time -- but talk of graduation is leaping way too far ahead
> for this discussion.  :-)
>
> The Incubator proposal template will help guide discussion on this list:
>
>    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html#proposal-template
>
> You can add a JDBM proposal to the Incubator wiki:
>
>    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/
>
> I'd especially like to hear more about your thoughts regarding this comment:
>
>> There have been some concerns about the continuity of the package,
>> although the original contributors are still active.
>
> Apache is about community -- and no project graduates from the Incubator
> without demonstrating that it has a community diverse and strong enough
> to manage that code base moving forward. You stated a commitment to keep
> JDBM alive -- how about the other contributors? --I'm keying in on this
> risk mentioned in the template:
>

> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html#template-orphaned-products
>
>> I sincerely hope the Apache DB project will consider adoption of the code
>> base.
>>

> Again, Apache is about communities. We just need to make sure that
> everyone understands that.
>
> Since I pulled out a couple comments, possibly without adequate context,
> I'm including your entire original post down below.
>
> I look forward to hearing more about JDBM.
>
> regards,
>
>  -jean
>
> Cees de Groot wrote:
>> (Currently: http://jdbm.sourceforge.net/)
>>
>> JDBM is an 8-year old open source library currently under a custom
>> (original-BSD-style) license created by me in 2000 as the result of
>> some chat with folks from Intalio and extended by a number of persons
>> since then, most notably Alex Boisvert. It mainly aims to give similar
>> functionality as GDBM but it adds transactions and btrees/htrees. As
>> its goals were (and are) simplicity and robustness, after an initial
>> flurry of development the package has been mostly stable and is in
>> use/has been used by a number of high profile projects
>> (http://jdbm.sourceforge.net/JDBM-Powered.html).
>>
>> There have been some concerns about the continuity of the package,
>> although the original contributors are still active. ApacheDS already
>> includes a (temprary) fork in the code base, and the main question the
>> mailing list receives is along the line "does it still work?" (answer:
>> yes, it does - that fact that the stable release is 3 years old means
> [...]

"Any sufficiently advanced form of music is indistinguishable from
metal" -- free after A.C.Clarke