William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> Mark Phippard wrote:
>
>> I gave counsel to the Eclipse Foundation and explained that they could
>> provide a fully functioning JavaHL library to users with only EPL
>> compatible code.  Basically, you just need to build without Neon, BDB
>> and libintl support.  Of the three, the only thing an Eclipse client
>> user needs is Neon, and Serf serves as a viable replacement.  I do not
>> know why they never chose to release a binary built this way.  I can
>> only assume that Igor and Polarion did not want to make these
>> binaries.
>>

> I suspect IBM's ICU lib could be substituted for libintl, and as there is
> some traction on the idea of dumping apr-iconv, this would be a sensible
> thing (since ICU is the heir apparent for non-iconv based platforms).
>
> I keep reading "The project doesn't release binaries".  Who will, Tigris?
> Collab?  Yo momma?  One of the greatest advantages is that committers who
> wish to package binaries can do so under the ASF umbrella, something that
> in this litigious society I would never consider doing now.
>
> So is the "project doesn't release binaries" mantra a statement about the
> past practices, a tacit or explicit contract in bringing this to the ASF,
> or just the posters' personal preference?

Wait a minute. Are you implying that the "project" *should* release
binaries? Wouldn't such a requirement apply to, say, APR, to keep this
close to home?

Certainly any volunteer with proper karma can build binaries from the
release tarballs, and if those binaries happen to pass muster wrt
ASF-mandated legalities, then from my understanding it should be OK to
host such binaries on ASF's infrastructure. But that's not the same as
the project releasing those binaries -- lack of digital sigs on them is
a dead giveaway.

How many APR and/or httpd commiters sign your Windows binary packages?

-- Brane