On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 6:38 AM, Igor Burilo <igor.bur...@polarion.org> wrote:

> Mark Phippard-3 wrote:
>>
>>>I gave counsel to the Eclipse Foundation and explained that they could
>>>provide a fully functioning JavaHL library to users with only EPL
>>>compatible code.  Basically, you just need to build without Neon, BDB
>>>and libintl support.  Of the three, the only thing an Eclipse client
>>>user needs is Neon, and Serf serves as a viable replacement.  I do not
>>>know why they never chose to release a binary built this way.  I can
>>>only assume that Igor and Polarion did not want to make these
>>>binaries.
>>

> Mark, it’s not a problem to build JavaHL. But as you said, to make it EPL
> compatible Eclipse should replace Neon by Serf or remove DAV libraries
> completely. It’s not a solution. In the first case proper functionality
> isn’t guaranteed (you and Michael Pilato are sceptic regarding Serf). Nobody
> would like to use SVN client, which is “different” and migh have problems.
> In the second case, SVN should work without DAV protocol, which isn’t
> acceptable by majority of people.

It sounds like you should have asked the Subversion community or done
some checking.  Serf is used by a decent number lot of people and is
usable.  It would have been a viable option for you to provide a
JavaHL binary that only used Serf.  Is it possible you would have
users run into problems that do not exist with Neon?  Yes, of course.
But odds are those problems would have all been found and fixed by now
in the current 1.6.6 release had you chosen to do that.

The main lingering concern is that Serf violates the rules of the
Subversion editor API.  This is more of a concern for people writing
their own code to use the Subversion API then it is for Subversion
itself (as is the case with JavaHL).  You would not be bitten by this
issue.  Some of us think this should be addressed before Serf replaces
Neon as the default.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard