On Jun 6, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Volker Merschmann wrote:

> Hi Jim, all,
>
> 2011/6/4 Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com>:
>>
>> On Jun 4, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
>>

>>> Personally, I think Oracle's choice had more to do with IBM's
>>> recommendation, than taxes.
>>>

>> I've been told that Oracle and TDF *were* in discussions but
>> that the demands by TDF were sufficiently unpalatable to Oracle
>> as to prevent any sort of agreement... IBM may have strongly
>> suggested the ASF as a backup, but we were the runner-up in
>> a sense. Taxes were not an issue...
>>
> I do not see where the demands were "unpalatable":
> http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2011/06/06/publishing-our-recommendation-to-oracle/
>
> TDF just refused to pay for anything which is under contract of Oracle.

Thx for the link. It is good to see TDF opening up regarding
what their original request was to Oracle. Subsequent discussions,
of course, are not known but so what. They are moot. For whatever
reason, Oracle did not think that TDF was the right place. That
ship has sailed. Time to figure out what to do now.