Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

I think that this is the right list, very few people are intrested about the incubator. This is about ASF reputation. (It is also about the OSS reputation, including BSD, Linux, CodeHus, etc.)
Due to this Stein mistake OSS could be view as very lowest form. Makes me think ... hmm, did Linux developers refactor SCO code? Shame.

I would like to know... does "ASF" claim that if they refactor offending code one by one, they feel they are clean?
or
If the code was imported and beeing refactored, that that is a probelm.

The ASF treats the allegations of code copying very seriously, and will take what actions are necessary to ensure that no IP rights are violated, any offending code, if found, is removed, and any other appropriate action is taken.

I have been thinking about it, I do not think removing the offeding code is appropriate or sufficient.

If proven, I think offending devlopers, new or old should be baned from ASF (and other OSS projects) for a few years. The project should be parked. Let it live on SF, why shield it (becuase now ASF has to use their lawyers/resources)

ASF should publicly applogize, and as a sign of friendship with OSS, do something to help jBoss, such as help with J2EE certification, or help with code or something.

Did I say that Stein should be removed, as the person out of all the OSS projects out there, did most to ruin the high reputation, trough negligence or some other reason.

I feel dirty using Apache Struts today becuase of this mess. I already remvoed ASF licnese from basicPortal.sf.net when this was originaly done and uses a "commons" license or something like that.

However, you must allow the alleged violations to be vetted - just as you wouldn't take the ASF's word that all was fine w/o explanation, you shouldn't take JBoss claim of violation at face value either.

http://theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=22337#101208
Above says:
"The version 1.1 and 1.2 do contain an interface with methods hinting to "the 3 maps design" Marc is talking about. "

This is fine proof for me.

I think some sort of joint commission should be set up, of people with fine reputation, to report in a certain timeframe as to what happened.

Also a sepreare group should find out what to do about it.
This is a crissis as big as any, IMO.

To the people that are siting on the sidelines:
Do something. It does not have to be public.
It is when silent majority sits on the hands, and allows immoral things to happen that the society loses.
This is about sofware, not about lawyers.

I will try to make this last message on the topic of ethics, its up to the people sitting on the hands to see this is as a problem and do something.

.V