From: "Noel J. Bergman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jakarta General List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Jakarta embracing the JCP?
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:44:32 -0500

> How about if Jakarta [or Apache-Java as a whole] embraced the latest JCP
> process?

In what way?  Can you be specific?  As I understand the JCP, what you are
asking makes little sense.

We don't have "spec leads", nor do we want them. We don't have ownership of
a project/specification. Everything here is communal and consensual. That
is not true of the JCP. Actually, I would prefer to see the JCP continue to
evolve to become more like the ASF.

> What I'm largely interested in are the reasons why not, as these would be
> perfect reasons why something like groovy, or ant or httpclient, should
> not become jsr's.

A JSR is a specification.  It should have a TCK and an RI, but at heart it
is a specification.  Some people have talked about proposing the Apache
Repository Specification, which I understand Maven will evolve to use, as a
JSR.  If that happened, I'd prefer to see us run a JCP Expert Group more in
line with an ASF project, not run ASF projects like an JCP Expert Group.

Geir? Your thoughts?

--- Noel