On 5/14/07, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
As my random suggestion that Ted quoted points out, you can have a PMC
without their having to be TLP. Least I was told that a couple of
years ago either on board@ or face to face, so we could do the
following:

* Create the Jakarta Commons PMC, without changing the website (or
even the svn maybe).
* Continue to encourage Jakarta subprojects to move to TLP, go into
maintenance or move over to other PMCs.
* Reach a point at which we can end the Jakarta PMC, or federate or whatever.

Do you mean that the resources can then be handed over to the
Jakarta-commons (or whatever) PMC?
I'm in favour of that idea, jakarta==jakarta-commons is the option
which I think makes most sense of all for the future of Jakarta.

1/ it preserves a valuable brand
2/ commons embodies the original ethos of Jakarta
3/ commons (as we've seen hints of) still actively depends (c.f
passively benefiting) upon the Jakarta brand.

To close down the project and hand the "brand" to another PMC would
also meet all but the most draconian interpretation of what the reorg@
discussions suggested needed to be done about the problem of Jakarta.

d.