On Dec 29, 2009, at 2:14 PM, patrick o'leary wrote:

>> You probably mean that to be derogatory, but it's related and not in a bad
>> way.  This is about effective communication, which marketing people
>> understand.
>

> Hence the term spatial-luence, or as it was originally called locallucene-
> We are discussing an internal component, where folks want to change the name
> of the methodology of how it works.
>
> To me it's like renaming the crank shaft in a car to the Spinning Wheel
> Turner.

I totally understand where cartesian tier comes from and I get the math and all
the explanation.  It's a perfectly reasonable name and  I don't have anything
against it as far as the meaning it invokes.  My only issue is that I can't
find a single reference to that phrase outside of Local Lucene whereas I can
find lots of references to the concept under names like: map tiles, map grids,
spatial tiles, or just plain tiles/grids.  That doesn't mean cartesian tiers
isn't a better description and that if Lucene was the first to implement such a
thing we wouldn't even be having this conversation.  But the fact is, we're not
the first and it appears to me like the majority of people out their use
grid/tiles to describe this concept, for better or worse.