But is that really worth breaking all the existing references to this? What
value is that for the users?

Just to clarify... your concern is two fold:
1. No term is perfect, Cartesian Tier is as good as any, lets stick with it. 2. There are already references to cartesian tiers (like this thread :), lets stick with it.

The counter arguments are:
1. 'Tile' or 'Grid' immediately make more sense to the uninitiated
2. If we are going to pick a term, now is the time.

The difference in opinion (as far as I can tell) is that everyone except Patrick is looking at this as a new API, not as an existing one. The spatial bits of lucene/solr, it is now quite different then localsolr, as such, i'm not sure concern about breaking references makes much sense.

ryan