Okay,

I've done some minimal playing around with the top level website in
xml-site, and have modified the styles to get rid of all the images.  A
version of the top level site using this style is viewable at
http://www.apache.org/~twl/new-site/index.html

If people think that this is a good direction, then I'll keep working to
finalize a simple style before tackling docbook.

Note:  I am not a photoshop / image wizard, so the image bar at the top
still looks ugly.   Suggestions on what to do up there are more than
welcome.

Ted