Quoting "Theodore W. Leung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Okay,
>
> I've done some minimal playing around with the top level website in
> xml-site, and have modified the styles to get rid of all the images.  A
> version of the top level site using this style is viewable at
> http://www.apache.org/~twl/new-site/index.html
>
> If people think that this is a good direction, then I'll keep working to
> finalize a simple style before tackling docbook.
>
> Note:  I am not a photoshop / image wizard, so the image bar at the top
> still looks ugly.   Suggestions on what to do up there are more than
> welcome.

This is definitely headed in the right direction, no question about it.

I think some kind of header bar is still called for; the whole thing is
happening as a table now, so maybe background colouring in the top row is a good
place to start. Suitably minimalistic, and often very effective. Images must go,
though. :-)

The left sidebar, now that it appears cleanly, now strikes me as being too busy.
There are 29 items, all at the same level, spacers notwithstanding. I'll have to
think about it some more, but I guess I am questioning the sub-project listing
without having a great answer. Still, Jakarta and Tigris do the same thing (I do
like the Categories idea on the Tigris main page).

I am not a webhead either, I just know what I like when I see it, so I can only
act as a critic. :-)

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom