Hi Anne!

As one of the core Axis developers, and the originator of the "WASP as a
separate project" idea (it came up on a phone call with Sam), I wanted to
chime in...

> We think it's pointless to fight over a SOAP stack. The SOAP
> stack should be
> a part of the underlying fabric. What's important is that
> there is one, and
> the one that's there is reliable, performant, feature-rich,
> flexible, and
> extensible. Our primary goal is to get a really strong,
> pervasive SOAP stack
> that fully supports JAXM, JAX/RPC, a complete implementation
> of SOAP Section
> 5, support for SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2, pluggable transport
> protocols, etc.

+1!

I completely agree with this, and with Sam's statement of priorities a bit
earlier in this thread.  As one of the primary Axis developers, I'm really
psyched to see the WASP codebase, and to figure out how we can merge the
best parts of that into Axis (or follow through on whatever
best-of-both-worlds scenario is deemed optimal).

There are also clearly some valid concerns about scattering developer
effort, and I certainly don't want to hold up Axis development.

I would like to see the WASP code in a CVS repository as soon as possible.
I think a good plan for now might be to get the code out there and then
start the conversation about moving forward, but perhaps not to actually
roll out a full "project level" effort around WASP at this stage.  If it
would make people feel more comfortable, I could see putting the code in
xml-axis/wasp - it doesn't much matter to me.  Then once we can all see each
other's code, we can get the two teams together to decide how best to
proceed.  What do y'all think?

I'm enthused about the potentials here, and will very much enjoy the
opportunity to work with the Systinet developers again.

--Glen