Stefano Mazzocchi writes:
> > Apache SOAP is destined to become the "old version" and Axis to be
> > the new and on-going version.
>
> I now understand this, but this is *NOT* clear from the outside.
>
> We must fix this in some way.

Do you have any suggestions? We (Apache SOAP developers) have repeated
this a hundred times on the soap-user list for example.

Maybe what we should do is do one last release and then put flashing
lights on xml.apache.org/soap saying this is it and that the next
soap impl will be from axis. The reason for one last release is that
there have been many bug fixes / improvements over the last six
months that many would find useful while they wait for Axis to mature
and stabilize. People building products using this stuff don't like
to be based on nightly builds obviously.

We need to make the relationship between Apache SOAP and Apache Axis
well-known, not just well-defined. I'm all ears on how to make that
better.

> Ah, a new PMC. Sam expressed the same intention.
>
> >From where I stand, this webservices.apache.org is very likely to become
> *the* political battleground around here and, if I'd be happy to let you
> guys take care of that yourself, I'm concerned about the initial
> diversity of the PMC required to bootstrap this community.
>
> I don't want to see the old xerces/crimson mess multiplied by an order
> of magnitude, even if I don't participate in that community in first
> person.
>
> Anyway, I fully trust the Apache Board judgement on this.

You may be right; we should leave this stuff in the XML PMC and
let you guys deal with the politics ;-). Maybe the right thing to
do is let things sit in the XML PMC until things stabilize in the
Web services space and then (and if necessary) move it to a separate
PMC. I am not one to push for unnecessary administrative overhead,
so if things work ok and if the Web services stuff get well built,
used and supported, well, then what's there to complain about.

Anyway, I don't think anyone's proposing that a new PMC be created
right now! (I hope not anyway ..)

Sanjiva.