Brady Catherman wrote:
> nono.. we where running using distcc across our cluster (you could see
> the compile jobs running on all the different nodes.)
>
> Though I would not be surprised in the least if I configured something
> wrong.. Plus our Mac OS NFS Servers have been... flaky.. at best. So
> there might just be an issue in network file system performance.
>
> It appears that my experience with distcc is wrong =) Thats good to
> know.. next time I have to re-build a cluster I will make sure to give
> it another go and see if I can make it perform better =)

It's most useful on 100Mbit+ low-latency networks, and most apps will
not parallelize beyond about -j4 anyhow, because there just isn't enough
non-dependent stuff to build.

Personally, distcc is very useful for cross-compilation from a fast x86
development box to slow sparc/arm boxes.

Thanks,
Donnie