Clarifying the differences would hep a bunch. I have talked with several 'cluster' admins that had no clue about high performance clustering.

If you call Cisco and tell them you are running a cluster they will try to sell you a switch with high inbound/outbound traffic but piss poor inter-port communication speeds. They try to make there switches run really fast for things like HA clusters but fall short on performance clusters (where everything talks to everything). Also, techniques like Flat Neighborhood Networks are pointless on a HA cluster but can be a god send on HPC clusters. These subtle differences are actually much larger than people realize.

If you are planning on writing a MPI programming guide you are looking at a bunch of writing. Parallel programming regardless of the API used is tricky. Communication methods, shared resource processing and the like make parallel programming more of an art form than just another API to use.

One last question for you all.. Why is distcc so popular? We used it on our 134 node cluster and it actually made compiling much slower than just running it on one of the nodes. The network overhead killed the performance gain. The only way we found that it helped was writing the makefile itself to take advantage of parallelism. Is this uncommon for most people?