On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Ulrich Mueller <u...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>>> Once I had stupid cut&paste mistake and entered wrong credits in
>>> ChangeLog. I don't see how to resolve this issue in case
>>> ChangeLog's will be generated from git log and until somebody
>>> suggests how to edit ChangeLogs generated from git I think have to
>>> keep ChangeLogs in gentoo-x86.
>
>> I didn't know that editing existing ChangeLog entries manually was
>> an accepted practice with CVS. Even if it was to correct typos or
>> something else.
>
> So far, the ChangeLog is just a normal file. So why should it be
> forbidden to edit it and correct mistakes? Examples are wrong or
> forgotten credits, or wrong bug references. It is a service to our
> users that such information is accurate.

So, such changes; where would you document them? Would you ChangeLog
an edit to the ChangeLog? CVS log is not an option for documenting
anything; access to it is slow, quirky, and time-consuming.

>From my PoV, editing ChangeLog is like editing history. Complete no-no.

Of course, all of this goes out the window with git since access to
the log is trivially quick.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team