On 5/19/13 6:40 AM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> Private messages and public comments through bugzilla are so far
> ignored, it seems, so let's try a venue where it's sure to cause a
> flamewar instead. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Hey Jeroen, apologies if I have ignored any of your feedback.

I'm indeed behind on bugmail (5000 unread emails, how about that?).

I do read mailing list traffic and direct e-mail though.

> We agreed a little while ago that bug Summaries should start with an
> atom, if possible, and explain the action later.

Could you refer me to the part where "we agreed" and why? I'm actually
happy to make changes that are useful for people, but without a good
rationale and an _actual_ consensus someone else will inevitably come
and says he likes the old way better.

>> arches=linux
>
> Is this URL useful to include, or did you just want to abuse every
> last feature found in pybugz? Wouldn't maintainers already know
> where to find this kind of information? Who do you think is your
> audience?

My audience is a developer who doesn't have lots of time. It's not so
much about not knowing at all where to look for it, but being able to do
so really quickly. For me (maybe not so for other people - fine), it's
much quicker to click a link than to copy-paste package name to either a
URL or eshowkw or anything else, especially with more tricky package
names like:

app-emulation/open-vm-tools-2012.03.13.651368 (long version number)
dev-perl/LWP-Protocol-https-6.30.0 (case variations)
dev-php/PEAR-Crypt_RC4-1.0.3 (underscore vs dash variations)

Please let me know if there is any _downside_ of having the URL,
especially now that you know the upside. :)

>> OS: Linux Status: CONFIRMED Severity: enhancement
>
> Is a stabilisation an enhancement per se? If all stabilisations are
> enhancements, then why isn't Severity set to Normal instead? (What
> is an enhanced severity to begin with, Mozilla?)

What is your constructive alternative to this?

> This is where you probably wanted to set something similar to
> Enhancement above, but again you probably shouldn't. Normal
> stabilisation bugs are normal, not less than normal.

AFAIK this is the default setting. What is your constructive alternative?

I'm actually serious - if you have specific changes in mind, I'd be
happy to make them if I see the rationale.

> My e-mail editor is messing up the line endings here, but your
> messages already include double newlines - on bugzilla web pages as
> well as in the e-mail it sends, so this is your broken pybugz script
> again, I reckon?

Fixed:
<http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/arch-tools.git;a=commitdiff;h=3d2d92a6537bec6be9c39ac113eb88f85faca315>

Thank you for reporting this.

> Also, your script does not set the STABLEREQ keyword. People are
> having to hunt down your robo-stabilisation requests and add it
> themselves. You should just do it yourself or turn your script off.

This is more tricky.

If there is a consensus about STABLEREQ keyword, I'd be happy to add it.
I vaguely remember some past controversies about it (or maybe it was
actually same as what you're suggesting here).

Remember this is supposed to _help_ Gentoo. You can opt out of the bugs
(there is a package name and maintainer name regex in the script). You
don't need to "hunt them down" - if you do nothing another script will
just CC arches after 30 days.

Paweł