<bluen...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> what does in-house tool mean?  i'm a gentoo developer but i also work
>> on an upstream project (eudev) that 14 distros use.
>>
>> some of the criticism given here are my concerns as well and i've
>> spoken with the various distros --- slack, parted magic, puppy.  they
>> get what's going on and they still see eudev is the best way forward
>> for now.  it may not be in the future, but neither will a udev
>> extracted from a compiled full systemd codebase.
>
> How many of those 14 distros have more than 14 users?
>
> Look, I get it, some people don't like systemd.  That's fine.
> However, you have to realize at this point that a non-systemd
> configuration is anything but mainstream.  There will always be a
> "poppyseed linux" whose purpose in life seems to be to preserve linux
> without sysfs or some other obscure practice.  I just think that
> Gentoo should offer the choice to do those things, but have a more
> mainstream set of defaults.

The new mainstream is docker. Docker recently switched to Alpine Linux,
which uses OpenRC+eudev:

https://www.brianchristner.io/docker-is-moving-to-alpine-linux/

That dwarfs whatever marketshare systemd has in the same way that
Android+iOS dwarfed whatever marketshare Windows has.

If userbase is what matters to you, then OpenRC+eudev won. It is the
logical choice for those concerned about userbase because that is what
the Linux ecosystem will be using going forward.

I do not think userbase should be the sole means by which we make
decisions, but those that think otherwise should now join the
eudev+OpenRC camp. It has the bigger userbase share going forward.

To put it another way, the war is over. Welcome abroad. :)

>> it needs to be in the new stage4s to make a bootable system.  imo a
>> stage4 should be bootable modulo a kernel.
>>

> Sure, a stage4 based on systemd makes a lot of sense.  I don't really
> see the point in leaving a kernel out though - I'd even stick a
> precompiled one in /boot on top of having the sources installed.  Why
> not make a stage4 install something that takes all of 5 minutes?
>
> I think that offering an eudev-based distro as a default just doesn't
> make sense in 2016.  I just think the better road to take is to start
> treating virtual/udev as something that gets installed post-stage3.
> We can't even get people to agree on vi vs emacs as a default.

We can leave virtual/udev out of stage3, but that doesn't diminish the
need to select sensible default for the virtual/udev provider.