Hi,

I do not know, if in this stage of the kbase it is a little bit early to
suggest topics for it, but I do it anyway ;)

I would like to have something official from Gentoo about toolchain
handling. I asked about this on the doc list [1]. I repeat my point:
there are several discussions on the forums and email lists about how to
properly update your toolchain. Mike Frysinger pointed out on the doc
list, that "people shouldnt care ... it should always "just work"" [2].
This goes in the direction of "your system will be updated to the new
toolchain over time". But some people do not want this, they want to
update thier complete system, if the toolchain changes. There are
suggestions for this like "emerge -e system && emerge -e system &&
emerge -e world && emerge -e world" and people saying, that this is
stupid. Also major updates of toolchain packages (like gcc-3.3 to
gcc-3.4 and greater) can break your system, if not properly done. So a
kbase article explaining about major updates, weighing out all options
and describing all pro and cons, finishing with a recommended solution
would be nice!

In one of my posts on the doc list [3], I outlined a much more generic
toolchain guide. Since Sven pointed out in one of his posts on this
list, that he would like to see more general solutions, I would be very
happy, if this would enter the kbase, too.

Regards,
Marc

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.documentation/2568
[2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.documentation/2573