On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:41:05AM +0200, Marc Blumentritt wrote:
> 1.) What's a kernel, what is inside of it and why (userland vs. kernel)?
>  I read somewhere, that over 50% of the kernel are drivers. Why are they
> in the kernel and what's the rest? What is an initrd and when do you
> need it? As far as I know, the Linux kernel is not the only choice with
> Gentoo (BSD, Darwin, ?). What's the difference, advantages,
> disadvantages? I know this is quite general.
>
> 2.) What is behind system (of emerge system)? How does portage know,
> what packages are in system? I know, that the profiles define these, but
> how does it work? What's the impact of USE flags on the system packages?
> This is something I always wanted to know, but never really looked for,
> so if there is already a good doc about it, sorry for the spam.
>
> 3.) How to get rid of cruft files? I removed a lot of old packages,
> which I do not use anymore. By chance I found many files belonging to
> these deleted packages on my system, e.g. in /etc/env.d I found
> 02distcc. Another example are old kernel modules in /lib/modules and
> cleaning the portage tree. Are there good ways for finding these files?

Those are very good topics; it shouldn't be too difficult to find adequate
answers and add them to the repository.

> Just a thought: Some guides like the gcc upgrade guide are "quick
> solutions" to "specific problems". I think this fits quite good for the
> kbase, so perhaps all guides like this should be moved/transformed to
> the kbase?

On the contrary; when topics tend to grow, it might be a good sign to turn
them into guides. Likewise, whenever a guide exists that covers some topic,
the topic in the kbase should point to the guide.

Guides are more managed (documentation-wise) than kbase articles (the entire
GDP crew looks after them); they are also translated into several other
languages.

Wkr,
      Sven Vermeulen

--