On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 07:27:37AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> > That's the hard way!
>
> I agree!!
>

> > There are some good rescue distros out there - one that's floppy-based:
> >
> >   http://www.toms.net/rb/
>
> Downloading now.
>

> > and some that are CD-based - if you can burn CDs from your Windows
> > installation:
> >
> >   http://www.lnx-bbc.org/
> >   http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/superrescue/v2/
>
> Couldn't I possibly use the Gentoo 3 Stage CD and do pretty much the same
> thing? Or are there tools on Tom's disk that are not on the CD?

It's a lot less setup - boot off the rescue media and go. Gentoo stage
3 isn't built for use as a rescue disk.

> > Boot one of those, mount and chroot to your linux partition, and you can
> > start cleaning things up.
>
> MOST IMPORTANT! Can you explain just a bit about why I'm chroot-ing when I
> do this? I don't understand chroot at all. If it's not too much typing, give
> me a few commands to sort of start the flow.

Tom's is a very thin Linux (one floppy, after all!). By chrooting
to your own root disk, you're putting yourself into your installed
Gentoo environment - albeit running Tom's kernel instead of the one you
built. Let's say your root disk is /dev/hda3 and you're /boot disk is
/dev/hda4. I think that Tom's provides a /mnt directory... so do this:

  mount /dev/hda3 /mnt
  mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/boot

(and any other things you need to mount). Then:

  chroot /mnt

and you'll be in the environment you built - with all the commands (like grub) that
aren't in Tom's environment. From there, you can start repairs.

Nathan Meyers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]