On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 01:41:29PM +0100, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
> Web:

Apache. It is one of the fastest and best community supported servers
out there...

> Mail:

courier. VERY easy to use. Install it and never touch it again...

> SMTP:

exim. It is not as popular as some of the other choices, but I have been
using exim on all of my projects for years. From my own personal server
stuff to production servers that handle a ton of mail. exim has been
easy to setup and has more features then most people ever need. It also
has a great community following with lots of people to help.

> Database:

mysql. Most popular and easy to use. If you don't know how to use
MySQL directly, install apache, php, and mysql. Then get phpMyadmin.

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/

It will make your life easier.

> IRCd:

dancer-ircd. Again, this was a simple install and never touch again...

> FtpD:

proftpd. Tons of options. Config file follows the same style as the
Apache configs.

> /usr/portage/ sharing:
>
> If you have additional comments on any of them such as why you would
> choose courier-imap over cyrus or why postfix over sendmail that would
> also be appreciated.

As far as the "whys" go, it's mainly because these packages were what I
started with, so I am more comfortable with them. If you have any
specific questions on any of the above, let me know...

--
:wq!

  Matthew Daubenspeck
  http://www.oddprocess.org