> On Wednesday 15 October 2003 01:28, Andreas Roedl wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Am Dienstag, 14. Oktober 2003 20:16 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> > > I think someone must be using this board? Have you had good
> results? Easy
> > > or difficult to install Gentoo?
> >
> > I just bought an Asus A7V600 SATA board where the SATA controller is
> > included in the southbridge and realized that its impossible to get it
> > working under Linux. The day after I bought the Asus A7N8X
> Deluxe which is
> > equipped with a Silicon Image 3112 Chip and it works pretty well.
> >
> > If you have the chance to get rid of the A7V600 and exchange it
> against the
> > A7N8X Deluxe, do it!

<SNIP>

> I patched the my kernels for vt8237 support (manually, because
> gentoo-sources
> don't handle the patch) and now everything is fine like before. Except
> windows but I wasn't using it anyway ;-) I also patched my
> mandrake's kernel
> and could boot mandrake too.
> Note: I have not tried sata, the via sound interface or the 3com
> gigaethernet.
> But everything else work fine. (almost: my kernel always
> complains about irq
> routing conflicts during boot).

Andreas, Mattieu & Peter,
   Thanks for the responses. I have been asking this question in a couple of
different forums and am getting somewhat conflicting answers. I think this
is most likely due to SATA being pretty new, and certainly not really well
supported just yet.

Mattieu - can you confirm if you are using a SATA hard drive? Or are you
using an EDIE drive on the more traditional parallel ATA interface that this
motherboard offers?

Peter - as I understand the numbering, the VT8237 is the South Bridge on
this motherboard which contains the SATA controller. Do the patches you
indicate are now in the gs-sources kernel specifically include SATA patches?
Or were you just saying that that there is no reason for people to patch the
kernel to support the VT8237 any more?

A BIT MORE INFO - I am told that on the Asus P4C800 motherboard that there
is a BIOS option for the SATA controller called 'compatibility mode', and
that with this option enabled people are able to boot and install Redhat 9.
I have no information about what that option might do to SATA performance,
or whether this option exists on the A7V600 motherboard. Maybe it's an Intel
only thing.

   Thanks again for your help. I'd really like to run both Gentoo & SATA on
this box, so I need to get this info before spending the cash.

Cheers,
Mark