Hi Ernie,

- snip -

Stephen,
        Fish works fine here with the konqueror file browser.
I can browse my 2nd gentoo box by typing:

fish://[EMAIL PROTECTED]

into the address field. A box pops up that asks for user Ernie's password which I enter and I'm in. This works as a normal user on my primary box.

Up to here no problem. The content/folders of machineB displays on the main window of Konqueror started on machineA

I can also log in the same way as root

Where you login as root? The root of machineA or machineB

Thanks

B.R.
Stephen

fish://[EMAIL PROTECTED]

only I don't get asked for the root password as I have passwordless ssh set up between the 2 boxes for my backup script.
Your current aggravation seems to be a permission problem.
I can drag and drop files from one box to the other as long as permissions allow. I hope this sheds some light on your situation.