On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:19:39 +0200 (IST) Scharf Yuval <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For dozens of hours I tried to make the ens1371 in my old Compaq computer
> in my university produce any sound with no luck.
>
> I used red-had 8, Gentoo with 2.4 kernel, Gentoo with 2.6 kerenl.
> I tried amazingly many combinations. It didn't work.
> As much as I could have seen the computer was playning sounds, I just
> didn't hear any sounds.
>
> I should mention that Windows had no problem at all.
>
> Today I tried to play a CD but it didn't work. I became very suspicious,
> playing a CD has very little to do with the OS.
>
> So I took two speakers, connected to the soundcard and booted to Windows.
> Windows kept using the internal speaker.
>
> I booted to Linux, and EVERYTHING worked great with the external
> speakers. :-)
>
> So, Windows uses only the internal speaker and Linux uses only the
> external speakers.
>
> Can someone explain to me what is going on. Usually in computers, if
> there are no external speakers the internal speaker works and when you plug in
> the the external speakers they start to work. Is it a hardware feature or a
> software feature. Can I control which speakers will be use.

Maybe you have the same problem as I do.  My gentoo system uses devfs.  When I
load the alsa ens1371 module (modprobe ens1371), the soundcard clicks, but no
/dev/dsp ... device entries are created.  I have to 'rmmod ens1371' then
'modprobe ens1371' a second time to get it to work.  No response from gentooers
or the alsa mailing list about this problem.  It could even be a devfsd problem.

So I just add the following to local.start

modprobe ens1371
rmmod ens1371
modprobe ens1371
play <something youlike>&

Also, the OSS module for my card works without a hitch.

HTH.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the