Scharf Yuval wrote:
Hello,

For dozens of hours I tried to make the ens1371 in my old Compaq computer
in my university produce any sound with no luck.

Today I tried to play a CD but it didn't work. I became very suspicious,
playing a CD has very little to do with the OS.

So I took two speakers, connected to the soundcard and booted to Windows.
Windows kept using the internal speaker.

I booted to Linux, and EVERYTHING worked great with the external
speakers. :-)

So, Windows uses only the internal speaker and Linux uses only the
external speakers.

I wasn't aware the internal speaker could produce anything more than different beeps ;) Is this perhaps a laptop?

Can someone explain to me what is going on. Usually in computers, if
there are no external speakers the internal speaker works and when you plug in the
the external speakers they start to work. Is it a hardware feature or a
software feature. Can I control which speakers will be use.

I am currently using my Creative Ensoniq 1371 to play MP3s in Linux. No special config required. I just built the driver into the kernel. In my experience, my computer, nor any other computer I have worked with, has *never* defaulted to the internal speaker when I didn't have external speakers plugged in.

--
Andrew Gaffney