On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 23:02:34 -0800 Robert Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply! It's probably my fault or I'm mis-reading
> something in your reply but my system is built with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
> from the beginning. The masking notes say the ~ should be there. Is that not
> correct? It's late for me here so it's probably a goof on my part. :)

You should only do this if you want the bleeding edge variant of packages.  The
stable variant (what many of us prefer to use) is selected by not coding the
above keyword.  Many report good results with ~x86, but YMMV.  Packages selected
via ~x86 may not have undergone any (or sufficient) testing before being made
available.  As you can see, some of the ~x86 packages may be just plain broken.

One cure for this would be to remove the ~x86 option, then 'emerge -p world.'
You should get '-D' (downgrade) indications for any package where a
higher version non-stable package has been emerged.  You can then
evaluate whether to let the downgrade take place.

As the old saying goes: you pays you money, you takes you chances.  If you like
living on the edge, do nothing, but expect to encounter the occasional broken
(or fatally flawed)  package

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the