From: Jason Stubbs [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 9:57 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage problems

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 22:59, Collins Richey wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 23:02:34 -0800 Robert Cole wrote:
> > my system is built with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" from the beginning.
The
> > masking notes say the ~ should be there. Is that not correct? It's
late
> > for me here so it's probably a goof on my part. :)
>
> You should only do this if you want the bleeding edge variant of
packages.

> One cure for this would be to remove the ~x86 option, then 'emerge -p
> world.' You should get '-D' (downgrade) indications for any package
where a
> higher version non-stable package has been emerged.  You can then
> evaluate whether to let the downgrade take place.

I would not suggest downgrading any system packages. To be sure you
should
probably not downgrade any packages unless they are causing you trouble.
once tried going from ~x86 to x86 and it was harder than finding bugs in

somebody else's undocumented source code written in a language that I
don't
know.

If you choose to go back to ~x86, I would suggest "migrating" slowly by
using
the -D option to emerge whenever you do an actual upgrade. Doing it that
way,
most packages will be back to x86 after about a month and you wont get
any
(or very little) breakage.

Jason