Hi all,

I have a Linux server which works as a file server as well. And As it
currently stands It Has 6 hard disks in it (4 x40 GB software RAID 5,
1x4GB root and 1x60GB file storage). As the server has uptime
measurements in hundereds of days (yay Linux!) I am worrying about the
state of the drives as they are constantly running.

So I want to find out how to minimise drive wear but this issue seems
rather contentious.

Some people say that Setting the Hard disks to power down will extend
their life, while others say that keeping the drives running constantly
will extend their life (on the pretext that spin-up/downs wear the HD
more then when they are constantly running).

So I thought id ask here to see what your opinions/experiences are
regarding this. My worry is that I am about to add a 200GB drive, this
will hold a lot of files (and will be on for ages) but will not have any
redundency so i'm worried about it failing.