On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 12:38:44PM +0100, Ognjen Bezanov wrote:
> (4 x40 GB software RAID 5, 1x4GB root and 1x60GB file storage).
> [...]
> I am worrying about the state of the drives as they are constantly
> running.
>
> So I want to find out how to minimise drive wear but this issue
> seems rather contentious.

I won't weigh in to the powerdown question, but I will make two
suggestions:

 1. Temperature.  Keep you disks cool and they will last longer, let
    them get hot and they will die much sooner.

 2. You can use sotware raid 1 for everything, even boot disks and
    swap.  Consider doing more raid to survive any of your disks
    dieing.

-kb