As shown below, why wouldn't "emerge -u world" pick up the update available for
gdm?

Actually, I think it is probably because it is not listed in
/var/lib/portage/world so I guess I am actually wondering why it wouldn't be
listed there?

Obviously my system knows gdm is installed but how does it know this? I guess I
was always under the impression that everything I installed would be placed in
/var/lib/portage/world. Obviously not. I know I can edit that file and add gdm
dut that doesn't really answer my question.

I am sure this is a minor issue that I just can't find in the man pages but I
am trying to 1) learn something that I am obviously missing 2) determine if
there are any other updates that "emerge -Du world" might be missing.

Thanks in advance.

Reg

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ sudo emerge -ua world

Calculating world dependencies ...done!

Nothing to merge; do you want me to auto-clean packages? [Yes/No] no

Quitting.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ sudo emerge -ua gdm

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild     U ] gnome-base/librsvg-2.9.5 [2.8.1-r1]
[ebuild     U ] gnome-base/gdm-2.6.0.9-r3 [2.6.0.6]

Do you want me to merge these packages? [Yes/No] no

Quitting.