Marco Matthies wrote:

Gentoo leaves packages in unstable for a default period of time to make sure
they work allright. If you want the newest version of a package, you must tell
portage to do so by putting the appropriate stuff (subversion and it's
dependencies) in /etc/portage/package.keywords.
Hmmm - that all sounds sane, but what is this default period of time? What criteria must be met in order for a masked package (and specifically for Subversion) to become unmasked?

Here, i just did it myself by putting this in my package.keywords
(create this file if it doesn't exist) :

=dev-util/subversion-1.2.1              ~x86
=dev-libs/apr-util-0.9.5                ~x86
=dev-libs/apr-0.9.5                     ~x86
In one way this looks better than my fiddling with USE - however I'm reluctant to choose specific versions in a durable configuration file. Ideally I'd like to follow the natural upgrade cycle in future. Wouldn't putting those lines in my package.keywords file prevent me getting, say, version 1.3 automatically when I do an "emerge -uD world" in another few months?

This was just info about portage, it is in no
way any form of endorsement on the new version of subversion, as I
haven't used it at all - and I don't know if you should be so impatient with a
new version of a package that seems to be important to you and your data...
I'm only impatient in so far as I'd prefer to use my gentoo server rather than some other platform. I'm already using Subversion 1.2 on other platforms and I've found no problems for my configuration.... so (other than possible gentoo specific issues) I'm happy to run the latest Subversion. [Disclaimer - please don't blame me if your requirements are more demanding than mine!. :-) ]

Thanks for the reply - it at least convinces me that it is possible to get Subersion-1.2 installed... However, your solution raises more questions from me about Gentoo. I'm now unsure if I want to wait-out the default unstable time for packages (to minimise risk and to simplify systems management) - or if there is a more subtle way to declare that I'd like version 1.2.1 now and to have that upgraded when a future version newer than that which becomes unmasked. Am I missing some other obvious things? I found the Gentoo handbook a little opaque on the topic of masked packages... lots of info - just not the answers to the questions I was thinking.