I was wondering if others have tackled this before me?

I only have remote SSH access to my Gentoo box (everything else is fire walled) and I use this to map ports on my client machine to corresponding ports on my server machine - so, for example, I can access IMAP; SMTP, X applications etc. on the Gentoo server remotely. My remote client is WinXP, and I use Cygwin OpenSSH. Owing to low bandwidth. While Xwindows is usable it is very slow - command line interaction without X is acceptable for most tasks but imposes a very restrictive interface. If possible I would like to be able to edit (relatively small) configuration files remotely in a text editor running under windows.

What would be the easiest way to somehow "map" a network drive on my Gentoo server from Windows given that I need to tunnel over SSH?