Mark Knecht wrote:
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Dale<rdalek1...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Mark Knecht wrote:
Strange little problem. emerge keeps fetching (not downloading) the
same file but doesn't seem to need to build it:

c2stable ~ # emerge -fDuN @world
Calculating dependencies... done!

Fetching (1 of 1) gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3-r1

  * gvfs-1.4.3.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...
                         [ ok ]
  * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...
                         [ ok ]
  * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...
                         [ ok ]
  * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...
                         [ ok ]
c2stable ~ # emerge -DuN @world
Calculating dependencies... done!

Auto-cleaning packages...

No outdated packages were found on your system.

c2stable ~ # emerge -fDuN @world
Calculating dependencies... done!

Fetching (1 of 1) gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3-r1

  * gvfs-1.4.3.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...
                         [ ok ]
  * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...
                         [ ok ]
  * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...
                         [ ok ]
  * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...
                         [ ok ]
c2stable ~ #

What controls this?

I've tried removing the distfile. Then it downloads the file but still
doesn't build it because, as you guessed, it's already installed:

c2stable ~ # eix -I gvfs
[I] gnome-base/gvfs
      Available versions:  1.2.3 1.4.3-r1 ~1.6.3 {archive avahi
bash-completion bluetooth cdda debug doc fuse gdu gnome gnome-keyring
gphoto2 hal +http iphone samba +udev}
      Installed versions:  1.4.3-r1(07:15:15 05/06/10)(gdu gnome http
udev -archive -avahi -bash-completion -bluetooth -cdda -doc -fuse
-gnome-keyring -gphoto2 -hal -samba)
      Homepage:            http://www.gnome.org

c2stable ~ #

Thanks,
Mark

Well, the -f option tells it to only fetch the file.  Also, if the package
is already installed and up to date, you would need to remove the -u as
well, since there is no update.

If this package is not something you want in the world file, you may want to
use the -1 option, after removing the other options of course.

Dale

:-)  :-)
The package in not in my world file and it's being 'fetched' even
though it's already on the system.

Using your logic emerge -fDuN @world (meaning 'fetch everything I need
to do emerge -DuN @world) would 'fetch' everything. It should only
fetch files that are new (I.e. - meet the -DuN criteria) and indeed
for all other files it does not fetch them.

The -u option has no effect WRT this problem:

.c2stable ~ # emerge -fDN @world
Calculating dependencies... done!

Fetching (1 of 1) gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3-r1
  * gvfs-1.4.3.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...
                         [ ok ]
  * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...
                         [ ok ]
  * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...
                         [ ok ]
  * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...
                         [ ok ]
c2stable ~ #

The 'fetch' is acting like it's 'new' as the -N option is what's
kicking this off:

c2stable ~ # emerge -fDu @world
Calculating dependencies... done!
c2stable ~ #

However, it's not 'new'. It's already installed.

I suspect this is some weird manifest issue or something having to do
with the ebuilds but I personally don't want to touch any of that by
hand.

The problem has existed for 2-3 weeks at least.

Cheers,
Mark

In the past, if something has a digest failure, there is a error. Maybe that has changed but that is what I have got in the past. I see this a lot with googleearth for example.

Maybe I am misreading something regarding the error but it seems it is doing what you tell it to do to me. The -N option is for USE flags not new packages. From the man page:

       --newuse (-N)
Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags have changed since compilation. This option also implies the --selective option. USE flag changes include:

A USE flag was added to a package. A USE flag was removed from a package. A USE flag was turned
              on for a package.  A USE flag was turned off for a package.

USE flags may be toggled by your profile as well as your USE and package.use settings.

The -f option will only fetch so the reason it is not compiling it again is because you are not telling it to compile but only to fetch.

Maybe someone else will come along and read this differently and see something I am missing.

Dale

:-)  :-)