Mark Knecht wrote:
Right. I misspoke. New use flags, not new a package.

However the outcome is consistent. It says it's 'fetching' because
it's responding to the idea that there's a new use flag, but then
fetches nothing because the file is already here and builds nothing
because it's already been built.

It's not a big deal. The machine is fine. Everything is consistent as
far as I know. However some portion of the download logic in emerge is
confused.

I've seen this sort of thing a few times in the past but it's always
cleared up in a day or two. This one has gone on for weeks.

Note that I do use ~amd64 on portage&  eix. Maybe it's a bug that
hasn't been cleaned up yet.

So, following through, there does appear to be a new flag setting
(-gdu) however it's not triggered emerging @world even though packages
on the system require gvfs according to equery.

Somethings inconsistent. (Possibly my brain!)

Cheers,
Mark

c2stable ~ # emerge -pvDuN gvfs

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3-r1  USE="gnome http udev
-archive -avahi -bash-completion -bluetooth -cdda -doc -fuse -gdu*
-gnome-keyring -gphoto2 -hal -samba" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
c2stable ~ # emerge -pvDuN @world

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
c2stable ~ # equery depends gvfs
  * These packages depend on gvfs:
app-cdr/brasero-2.28.3 (gnome-base/gvfs)
gnome-base/gnome-2.28.2 (>=gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3[gdu])
gnome-base/libgnome-2.28.0 (gnome-base/gvfs)
gnome-base/nautilus-2.28.4-r1 (>=gnome-base/gvfs-0.1.2)
c2stable ~ #

Just curious.

Cheers,
Mark

What does it do when you run:

emerge -vDuN gvfs

It should start to compile the package. Keep in mind, if you use the -f option, it will fetch but not compile or anything else. I used to use that back when I was on dial-up, which sucked by the way. Even this slow DSL is about 30 times faster than my old dial-up. lol It *should* only fetch it once tho unless it fails the checksum thingy. Portage should give you a error message tho.

Dale

:-)  :-)