On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> Right. I misspoke. New use flags, not new a package.
>>
>> However the outcome is consistent. It says it's 'fetching' because
>> it's responding to the idea that there's a new use flag, but then
>> fetches nothing because the file is already here and builds nothing
>> because it's already been built.
>>
>> It's not a big deal. The machine is fine. Everything is consistent as
>> far as I know. However some portion of the download logic in emerge is
>> confused.
>>
>> I've seen this sort of thing a few times in the past but it's always
>> cleared up in a day or two. This one has gone on for weeks.
>>
>> Note that I do use ~amd64 on portage&  eix. Maybe it's a bug that
>> hasn't been cleaned up yet.
>>
>> So, following through, there does appear to be a new flag setting
>> (-gdu) however it's not triggered emerging @world even though packages
>> on the system require gvfs according to equery.
>>
>> Somethings inconsistent. (Possibly my brain!)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>
>> c2stable ~ # emerge -pvDuN gvfs
>>
>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>>
>> Calculating dependencies... done!
>> [ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3-r1  USE="gnome http udev
>> -archive -avahi -bash-completion -bluetooth -cdda -doc -fuse -gdu*
>> -gnome-keyring -gphoto2 -hal -samba" 0 kB
>>
>> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
>> c2stable ~ # emerge -pvDuN @world
>>
>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>>
>> Calculating dependencies... done!
>>
>> Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
>> c2stable ~ # equery depends gvfs
>>  * These packages depend on gvfs:
>> app-cdr/brasero-2.28.3 (gnome-base/gvfs)
>> gnome-base/gnome-2.28.2 (>=gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3[gdu])
>> gnome-base/libgnome-2.28.0 (gnome-base/gvfs)
>> gnome-base/nautilus-2.28.4-r1 (>=gnome-base/gvfs-0.1.2)
>> c2stable ~ #
>>

>> Just curious.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>

> What does it do when you run:
>
> emerge -vDuN gvfs
>
> It should start to compile the package.  Keep in mind, if you use the -f
> option, it will fetch but not compile or anything else.  I used to use that
> back when I was on dial-up, which sucked by the way.  Even this slow DSL is
> about 30 times faster than my old dial-up.  lol  It *should* only fetch it
> once tho unless it fails the checksum thingy.   Portage should give you a
> error message tho.
>
> Dale

That probably does build. (The machine is now powered down so I'll
save that for tomorrow.)

I understand (or thought I did!) ;-) the use of -f. I use it every day
to download any packages that are needed to update the system before
starting the actual updates. I don't like the updates to get held up
by some server that's not responding and giving me the files.

So, every day I do updates (2-3 days a week maybe) the basic set of
commands I consider running through looks like:

eix-sync
emerge -fDuN @world
emerge -pvDuN @system
emerge -DuN @system
emerge -pvDuN @world
emerge -DuN @world
revdep-rebuild -ip
eix-test-obsolete -d
emerge -p --depclean

Usually it takes 10-15 minutes if it's not a big day and it has ALWAYS
resulted in

emerge -fDuN @world

fetching NOTHING new, at least until gvfs came along...

Cheers,
Mark