On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:56:29 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> I've bought (against my better judgement) an Atom N270 box to be a LAN
> server, but it's a bit slow compared with the other boxes on the
> network. A big bit, actually - 69 minutes to compile a kernel compared
> with less than 9 minutes on this workstation.
>
> I thought I'd give distcc a go, but after reading the Gentoo distcc and
> crossdev guides and doing what they say I get no result. I might just
> as well not have made the effort. The Atom box just labours with the
> emerge without trying to send anything to the server box I've set up
> for the purpose.

I've found there's just too much overhead with distcc, plus much of the
work is still done locally. I have a couple of Atom boxes, a server and a
netbook, and I've set up a chroot for each on my workstation. In the
chroot I have FEATURES=buildpkg, using an NFS mounted PKGDIR available to
both computers, then I emerge -k on the Atom box.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 1: Microsoft Works