On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 2:44 AM, Stroller
<strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 17/12/2010, at 10:56pm, Peter Humphrey wrote:
>> ... an Atom N270 box ... server, but it's a bit slow compared with the other
>> boxes on the
>> network. A big bit, actually - 69 minutes to compile a kernel compared
>> with less than 9 minutes on this workstation.
>
> 9 minutes!?!? I'm flabbergasted. The machines I have around here, I consider
> 1 hour to
> compile a kernel pretty good. Actually I'm in the process of migrating to
> newer hardware,
> but I haven't tested kernel compilation times.

[brag]
real    1m46.250s
user    11m54.140s
sys     0m57.290s
[/brag]

Less than 2 minutes here ;) That is for "make -j9 all" on Core i7 920
(OC'ed to 3.5GHz)

To be more on topic, I've never been able to figure out distcc to the
point where I feel comfortable that I've done it correctly. I have a
laptop where emerging a new release of KDE takes more than 1 day, and
the above mentioned workstation where it takes an hour. Followed the
wiki and I could see compilation happening on the remote machine, but
it was few and far between. It usually seemed like using it was slower
than not using it at all. I tried to set it to just not use the local
machine for anything but was never able to get that to work. (I'm not
sure if it's even possible?)

I probably did something wrong or misunderstood some fundamental part
of it, but I gave up on it long ago.