On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Matthias Fechner <ide...@fechner.net>wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I switched now to a new mainboard and it seems that the drive numbering
> changed or my kernel does not detect any hard disks...
> If I try to boot my gentoo the kernel panic because it cannot find the
> root partition.
>
> After the panic I cannot scroll up to check what drives are detected and
> which numbering is used. What must I do to be able to scroll up to see
> what is logged to the screen?
> (is there maybe a special key available, the shift+page-up and scroll is
> not working)
>
> Thanks
> Matthias
>
> --
>
> "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
> build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to
> produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." --
> Rich Cook
>
> Your best bet is to boot from a livecd or gentoo minimal, and run fdisk -l
to show the disk/partition listing.

Also, as Neil stated, make sure your new SATA chipset drivers are compiled
into the kernel and not as a module; however, it you switched from say, for
example, and nvidia-based motherboard to another nvidia-based motherboard,
then you don't need to worry about that.